All about us
The Taylor business was set up in the village of Cringleford, just south of Norwich in 1890 by Edward Thrower Taylor.
The business was continued by Edward’s son, Herbert, who also worked as a coachbuilder and timber merchant. In due course, Herbert’s son, Peter Taylor took over the business and expanded the operation. As well as providing funerals, the business also dealt in high-quality and specialised joinery for churches and historic buildings country-wide. Much of this work can still be seen in many local churches around the area, including Peter Taylors apprentice piece which is to this day displayed in St Peter’s Church, Cringleford.
In 1964 the business was moved to Unthank Road, Norwich where it remains to this day. Nicholas Taylor, the fourth generation of the Taylor family, joined the business in 1987. From then on the business specialised only in funerals and the joinery side was dropped. The business rapidly expanded, taking under its umbrella Gordon Rooney Funeral Services in Norwich, Broadland Funeral Services in Wroxham (originally owned by Gordon Read who stayed on as Funeral Director).
The business of Peter Taylor’s amalgamated in 1990 with R J Bartram & Sons and Rackham’s Funeral Service in Diss, becoming Anglia Funeral Services. The company continued to expand, opening a new funeral home in Holt in 1996.
“The individual funeral homes have always operated under their original trading names and maintained their independent identity.”
The Peter Taylor’s Group today consists of Peter Taylors Unthank Road Norwich, Peter Taylors Boundary Road Norwich, Peter Taylors at Costessey, Peter Taylors at Hellesdon, and Peter Taylors at Sprowston.
The company operates its own fleet of hearses and limousines. This fleet consisting of three limousines and two hearses, in the corporate black and grey livery are based at the Unthank Road branch and service the whole group. The silver removal ambulance is also kept at Unthank Road.